The Charleston County SOA Dance Department with an emphasis on both technical mastery and creativity that introduces dancers to a wide array of dance styles they would not get anywhere else. The goal is to provide students with the necessary skills and discipline to be successful as a dancer and a college dance student, focusing on process. The well-rounded curriculum provides the movement, the technical skills, the creativity, and knowledge demanded by college dance programs nationwide. The Dance Department Curriculum is based on the National and SC Dance Standards. SC Dance Standards are posted in the classroom and can be found on the State Department of Education website.
There are many opportunities awaiting you as an SOA dance major. Some of those include:
- Hone your performance and stage tech skills in a state of the art theater
- Study the spectrum of dance styles from Ballet to Modern, from Bollywood to Greek, Latin to Fosse…to name a few.
- Take Masterclasses with guest artists – professional dancers and choreographers – from all over the country
- Have opportunities for scholarships for education and dance studies
- Create your own choreography – from 8th grade solos to the Choreography Showcase, and Junior Composition and Senior Thesis for high school
- Be a member of the only local chapter of National Honor Society for Dance Arts!
- Take Advanced Placement courses at SOA with fantastic teachers
- Take classes next door at Academic Magnet and still be part of an artistically talented, creative and fun group of students at SOA
- Travel to Regional/National Dance Festivals and other great trips, and participate in master classes
- Audition for summer programs and see dance stars perform
For complete info on the program, view our Dance handbook!